It’s the moment all sci-fi fans have been waiting for. The widely anticipated trailer for the feature adaptation of Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel, Dune, has been released, and it sure covers a lot of ground. The film, directed by Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) is the first of a planned two-parter and is said to cover the first half of the book.
The trailer is packed with enough action, bursting visuals and the stunning futuristic landscapes to draw excitement from cinema goers alike. It’s ambitious and celebrated composer Hans Zimmer is leading the score (yay), but, unless you’ve already read the book or watched David Lynch’s 1984 adaptation, then you may also be feeling a little overwhelmed or confused about what Dune actually is.
As far as the story goes, Warner Bros. official plot describes it as “A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, “Dune” tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet’s exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity’s greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive”.
Dune is host to a pretty attractive cast. Timothée Chalamet (Call Me by Your Name) is the film’s lead star, playing the role of Paul Atreides, with Rebecca Ferguson (Mission: Impossible 5 & 6) starring as his Bene Gesserit mother, Lady Jessica. Oscar Isaac (Ex Machina) is Paul’s father, Duke Leto Atreides, as well as being a nobleman newly bestowed with the stewardship of Arrakis.
Josh Brolin (Avengers: Endgame) is weapons master of House Atreides, whilst Jason Momoa (Aquaman) is sword master. Both are mentors to Paul, whilst Zendaya (The Greatest Showman) also stars as a mysterious young Fremen.
Other cast members include Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men), Stellan Skarsgård (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Dave Bautista (Guardians of the Galaxy), and Charlotte Rampling (45 Years).
Trailer: Key Takeaway’s
There’s a lot going on in this trailer, so we can expect to be in for quite a ride upon the film’s release. As far as key takeaway’s go, we’ve picked out the best bits for you (in order of when they appear)…
- Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya engage in a slow-mo kiss against a glowing sunset, hinting at a love interest plot
- Charlotte Rampling forces Chalamet to put his hand in a mystery, pain-inducing box
- Chalamet and Brolin are sparring figures with an activated holographic field around them
- Javier Bardem rips off a mask and lets his blue eyes pierce the screen
- Jason Momoa wants to “fight like demons” and secures this with a manly roar
- It’s blood splatters galore when it comes to the battle sequences
- Bautista and his accompanying pale guys dressed in black attire rock up and look to be the bad guys
- An all-encompassing giant sandworm (which causes the earth to vibrate around it) comes out of nowhere and looks absolutely terrifying (and epic)
Dune is expected to hit theatres on 18 December 2020, and we’re still not sure that gives us enough time to get ready for it!